Local Sights - Trogir

TROGIR (TRAGURION) was settled by the Greeks in IV-III century BC during theirs hunts across Mediterranean . In the First century AC, Trogir became Roman municipality "TRAGURIUM CIVIUM ROMANORUM" joined to Salona, center of Roman province of Dalmatia . Upon the fall of the Roman Empire in Fifth century, Trogir has been developed as a independent town. In the Sixth century, the Croats settled in Trogir area and began creating works of art. Right from the beginning of the Middle Ages the old Greek town of Tragurion felt the fire of the new medieval culture. Builders and masons built churches and decorated it with interlaced ornamentation. During the Tenth century citizens of Trogir renewed they old municipal life of the formal Roman "oppidum". In their struggle against the Venetians, the kings of Hungary got Trogir to their side in return for a guarantee of Independence . Its citizens could freely elect their city leaders and, already in the Eleventh century, the small community crowded on the fortified islet, had its own Bishop who was suffrage of the Bishop of Split.

At the beginning of the 13th century, while they were still recovering from the raids of the Venetians, who had attacked them in 12th century during their war with Hungary for the attractive Dalmatian coast, Trogir citizens under Rector Ilija from the Kacic family built their new cathedral. Forty years later, RADOVAN carved its main portal in Seget stone. Prospect of Trogir was brutally interrupted 1420. when town was occupied by Venetians after long struggle, and it was badly devastated. Occupation lasted for almost four centuries, until 1797. During that time, Trogir was rebuild again and many new palaces, houses, towers and fortresses were erected. After short period of independence, Trogir had fallen under Napoleon's domination which was remembered by significant communal and health - care reforms, and modernization of economy.

Austrians conquered town one more time (1814 - 1914) when citizens suffered illness, epidemics and hunger. After 1848, process of democratization started, and very shortly, 1877, Croats were rulers in their town. After First World War, Trogir, together with Croatia , became a part of State of South Slovenes , but agony of hunger and indigence wasn't finished. Real improvement of standard and the way of life started in 1970-ies when Ship industry and tourism were employing more then 50% of Trogir citizens. Further development was interrupted by aggression on Croatia 1991, when people of Trogir and its economy suffered serious consequences. Ongoing integration processes in European Community started with UNESCO's acknowledgement of Trogir as a World cultural Heritage in 1997. Now, on the beginning of the new Millennia, Trogir becomes popular tourist destination as it was in '80-ies.


Trogir in general

Ancient TROGIR, surrounded by crystal clear sea and its islands with worm Mediterranean climate, represents location that you shouldn't miss on your cruising through the Adriatic . There are various possibilities to come in Trogir and experience the town and people, but probably the finest way to do so, is to anchor your boat under the town walls and enjoy its lush beauty.

Recently renewed Trogir Waterfront is ideal place for berthing, but it is almost exclusively reserved for mega-yachts during summer season. For sailors with yachts less than 25m long: recommended berthing is in nearby ACI Marina Trogir (just across Trogir Waterfront) or on Island Ciovo waterfront. Lies on the northern side of Ciovo Island , between Trogir bridge and Cape Cubrijan , facing the town. Berth: The marina has 180 berths and 60 boat places on land. All berths have water and power supply. Facilities: Reception, exchange office, bar, restaurant, fitness center, completely renewed toilets and showers, grocery store, repair shop, 10 t crane, parking lot. The gas station is at the western end of the marina.

Places to visit

Outstanding Greek bas-relief from the beginning of the 3rd century B.C. - The figure of the naked young man personifies KAIROS - according to ancient Greek's comprehension the God of the "fleeting moment", a favorable opportunity opposing the fate of man. This favorable moment must be grasped (i. e. the winged, permanent running Kairos by his tuft of hair), otherwise the moment flies away without return and cannot be caught any more ...

The bronze Kairos statue known in literature and made by the famous Greek sculptor Lysippos from Sikyon, was probably the model for the relief from Trogir. This flying creature - being always in constant hurry - is best described in the verses of the poet Posidippos from the 3rd century B.C.: KAIROS relief is kept in the Benedictine nunnery with the church of St. Nicolas. It is discovered in Spring 1928 in a abandoned house of Stanosevic family. 
St. Nicolas Museum is open daily for visits from 08:00 till 13:00 and from 15:00 till 19:00.

St. John of Trogir

(Sv. Ivan Ursini), patron of the town - on sketch from XVll century. His monument is erected on the North Town Gate, northern entrance in old Trogir.

Town Museum

Placed in old part of Garagnin - Fanfogna palace, takes You on the voyage through Trogir rich history. Open daily from 08:00 till 13:00 and from 17:00 till 20:00.

Church Art Collection and Benedictine Nunnery Collection

Near South town gate, attached to St. Nicolas Church, open daily from 08:00 till 13:00 and from 15:00 till 19:00.

Fortress Carmelango

Venetian defense citadel on western part of Trogir island. Open dailyfrom 09:00 till 20:00.

St. Lawrence Cathedral Bell-Tower

47m high tower with magnificent view over old Trogir and the area. Open daily from 09:00 till 12:00 and from 16:00 till 19:00.